Friday, January 9, 2009

Cold and Windy

Time, weather, and mechanical problems had conspired against me. I had a flight scheduled for January 1st but the airplane's starter had failed. The plane was still in maintenance on the 3rd. My flight for the 7th had to be canceled due to bad weather. I almost didn't make this flight today due to winds. The winds began to calm as the afternoon wore on. I got the airport around 1440 and started the preflight in the wind and cold. I was turning into a Popsicle despite the heavy coat and gloves. After startup I planned on using the ADF. I knew how to get to Cambridge but I wanted to try tracking the ADF for fun. The frequency switch confounded me and I couldn't get it to switch properly. The solo flight to Cambridge was quiet and I was able to start to relax a little. I got over the Choptank River and started my descent. I got down and made a moderately good landing and taxied back for takeoff. The airport appeared deserted as I got turned around.
Once I departed and got over the Choptank I shot some video.I made my way back over to Kent Island and flew along the western coastline to set up for the approach to Bay Bridge. Another good approach followed by a dubious landing. I was glad to knock some of the rust out of my technique.

No comments: