Monday, January 12, 2009

CamBRRRRidge

Another flight to Cambridge and back was in store for today. My last flight was the same route. This time I had a new passenger with me. Far from a first time flier, she was a former flight attendant. She had only flown in a GA aircraft as a child. The temperature was around freezing and the wind was blowing from off of the water. My passenger assisted me on the pre flight and then we were ready to go. We departed runway 29 and got out over the water before turning south. I climbed up to around 2800 ft but then had to descend a little for some puffy clouds that appeared to be in our way. The air was a little bumpy and we were happy to have some cabin heat as the OAT was -3C. As we approached the mouth of the Choptank River I saw another aircraft approaching from our right. It appeared slightly lower and faster and was headed up the Choptank. I made a gentle right turn and he passed us. I heard him call out as a Mooney and that he was in route to Cambridge. I made my inbound call as well and the Mooney pilot asked whether or not I was in front of him. I hope he actually saw me when he passed. I let him know we were behind him, the Mooney is known for its speed. With the Mooney in front and another Cessna behind me, I was number two for landing. I started my descent over the river and started to pick up some turbulence lower to the ground. It wasn't making my landing approach very fun and I was hoping that the bumps would smooth out on final. They did and I was able to get a smooth landing. We taxied to the terminal and got out in the cold again to get into the terminal. After a short break of about 20 minutes or so we went back out and prepared to make the trip back.The return trip took a little longer due to some moderate headwinds. The landing at Bay Bridge was also a good one despite some crosswinds. My passenger was pleased although we both agreed that it was a cold flight.

No comments: