Wednesday, April 8, 2009

300 Landings

April 8th's weather was not inspiring by any means. It was windy with a high overcast layer and some scattered junk down below. It was well within VFR tolerances, it just wasn't pretty to look at. Having been no stranger to being weathered out and with the prospect of better weather the next day and a potential passenger, I overcame my inertia and proceeded to the airport to have a look at the conditions and decide whether to fly. The winds were "squirrely" and crossed. I decided that they were within my personal minimums and that I would fly the pattern for practice. Most people might scratch their heads and ask me why I would want to fly in a square "circle" like Nascar. It's a real workout to fly the pattern. You have all of the high workload items to do in rapid succession. It's a real challenge even on a calm day. Throw in some kooky crosswinds and you've got your hands full. I got almost a half hour of time and flew the pattern twice. On the second time around in the final approach it felt as though a giant hand reached out and pushed the airplane down from above. Not a great feeling when you are only 300 to 400 ft AGL. After two times around I didn't want to play anymore and called it a day. I checked my logbook later and discovered a strange coincidence. The last landing of the day worked out to be number 300, a nice milestone.

No comments: