Sunday, November 23, 2008

Crosswinds can be fun!

November 17th. My last flight was on Halloween. I decided to take a Skyhawk up and make a short trip for breakfast. The plan was to depart Bay Bridge and head to Cambridge for breakfast at the airport restaurant. It was a cold preflight as I loaded up one of my frequent flyers. We got up into somewhat bumpy air and headed south. As we approached the pattern and overflew the airport I could tell that I was in for a crosswind landing. It wasn't severe but I remember that any crosswind situation used to make me very nervous. Nowadays I really enjoy the practice and the finesse involved in getting the airplane down. For those pilot types that may be reading this I prefer the slip method all the way down. My instructor never taught me the crab. Maybe I would have preferred that over the slip. I like to ride the slip all the way down because it gives me time to adjust and feel what the winds are doing. The landing at Cambridge was one of my better ones. Instead of being nervous about it, I've found out how much fun and exciting it is.
We taxied over to what looked like a closed terminal. Fortunately it was open and so was the restaurant. I've given the restaurant enough tries now and I will give it six runway lights out of ten. The service can be slow and the food varies. They do have a large dessert menu that I have not yet explored. That may raise their score.
The flight back was just as pleasant but without the crosswind landing, just a bit of an embarrassing bounce that was quickly corrected. My passenger said that the landing was great despite the bounce.
Little did I know that weather, schedules, and the Thanksgiving Holiday would make this my one and only flight in November.

No comments: