Sunday, September 14, 2008

>2000Ft. Density Altitiude and 86 Degrees in September

Sunday, September 14th was one of the last days of summer heat. I had a first time passenger on board for a flight over to Easton for lunch. Due to the heat the density altitude was over 2000ft. My coworker and I arrived at the airport and we proceeded to go through the preflight checklist. I had her read it while I showed and tried to explain each item I was checking. After the checklist was complete I contacted Flight Service for a briefing and ADIZ flight plan. I then contacted approach control only to find that my flight plan was not currently in the system. I refiled but knew I had to wait about ten minutes before I could get my squawk code. In order to pass the time I tried to explain the instrument panel to my guest.
Unfortunately I said a few things in my preflight passenger briefing that had brought my passenger to distraction. I knew that there was apprehension on her part about how flying in a GA airplane would be a different experience from airline flying. I told her during the preflight that as a passenger she had certain responsibilities. In addition to explaining that she was sitting in a seat that had flight controls and that there were times that I would need a "sterile cockpit", I told her that she would also need to keep a lookout for other aircraft. Up until that time the VFR concept of "see and be seen" had apparently not occurred to her and the concept of having a midair collision had now been her singular thought while I rambled on about what a turn coordinator was for. She admitted to me later that my comment had distracted her and the only other thing that had pierced through it may have been even more disquieting. She didn't hear my explanation about the magnetos, electrical system and engine. She simply heard the words, "engine quits." I was, or course explaining the systems on board and the unlikely possibility of an engine failure. Nevertheless we climbed aboard and after taxi and runup it was time for departure.
The takeoff was relatively routine but the density altitude certainly made for a slow climb out from the airport. After we turned to the downwind leg I asked my passenger how she was doing. I knew that it usually takes people a couple of minutes to get their head around everything that was happens but I also knew that some might just know that they need to get down now and the best time for that was while I was still in the traffic pattern. She asked me to give her a minute so I turned toward the bay and waited. As I expected, after about two minutes or so the first time passenger's brain starts to get a handle on the experience and they "equalize." A few minutes later that are usually able to relaxe enough to start enjoying themselves and appreciating the view. By about the time we crossed over Crain Highway I had started to point out landmarks. My passengers sense of direction was good and she was able to get her bearings as she began to snap pictures. It was a little hazy but the view was still good. I took my standard "tour route" down the Severn River and then we headed over the bay to Easton.
After we landed, taxied, shut down, it was time for lunch at the airport cafe. Once we finished I get a weather briefing and then went out to preflight. I knew from earlier that I wanted to get out sooner rather than later because the winds were starting to pick up. I did the preflight while my coworker browsed the gift shop. After departure we headed out over the bay and I worked on the requests from my passenger. She wanted to see the Thomas Point Light house and she wanted to fly over her house. I knew that we could get both of these things accomplished on the return trip. I headed toward the mouth of the South River and picked up the lighthouse on the water. I made a slow pass so it could be photographed. With my passenger acting as a ground observer and me keeping the plane flying, we were able to find and photograph her house as well as some of the Annapolis area. It's always rewarding and exciting for me when I can fly someone over their house.Once we got close to Tipton I found that I was going to have to deal with a bunch of aircraft in the pattern as well as a crosswind landing.We were able to fit into the pattern just fine. The crosswind wasn't severe and my passenger didn't even notice the wing low approach I had to make. We landed, taxied, and cleaned up the airplane. I made my log entries and we headed out from the airport. I was able to give someone else a positive experience in a "little airplane."

No comments: